I have written about Lake Thetis before on my older wordpress site. I firmly believe that the best time to visit this lake is either early in the morning or near the end of the day.
I opted to visit it near the end of the day. Not only because the colors are amazing at this time of the day, but there is also a huge chance you will see wildlife such as kangaroos.
Lake Thetis is found just on the outskirts of Cervantes. One would need to drive over a gravel road for about 5 minutes to get to it.
The parking lot is plentiful. However, not many visit this lake at the end of the day. Hence, another reason I like to make my way to this area during this time.
A boardwalk will lead you to the edge of the lake where you will find stromalites.
Stromalites are created by single-celled microbes called cyanobacteria (blue-green algae). The cyanobacteria form colonies and trap sediment with their sticky surface coatings. The trapped sediment reacts to calcium carbonate in the water to form limestone.
The lake itself is a perfect ecosystem for stromalites. This lake is more saline of about a Ph of 5.6. And, ironically this lake is isolated from the sea with no evidence found linking it to the sea! [I am sure they thought about underwater caves or pockets]
This time, when I visited, was the day before the super moon. So I had probably one of the best moments to take footage of the lake with the Super Moon in the background.
Overall, Lake Thetis is just one of the those places where you just breath in, breath out and feel all the stress just flow out of the body. It is truly a beautiful place to visit.
Tips when visiting Lake Thetis:
- Don’t not touch the stromalites. The ecosystem can be damaged and result in the loss of a colony.
- If you choose to walk the trail around the lake take water, make sure you have closed shoes and if possible longs socks. There are little critters around.
- Don’t forget the camera
- The road to the Lake is bumpy. So take your time driving over this terrain.
- Keep to the pathway. This helps protect the environment and increase your safety.
- Enjoy the experience and comment below if you have visited this place.
Liked this post? Follow this blog to get more.